Note: Here I am out in public, writing on walls for all to see, trying to answer three basic questions, “ What is life? How do you know you-are-you? Why sleep?”
This page was initiated on a homepage also entitled, The New from the Old. It was the first homepage of 2020 and it continues our studies of infinity and base-2 notation and our rather unlikely approach to consciousness, sleep, and other basic questions. The homepage article was limited to just the first four introductory paragraphs below.
by Bruce Camber Initiated December 30, 2019
From Infinity to Base-2 Notation to Consciousness: The finite-infinite relation has been consistently-and-badly abused by people throughout the millennia. The concept of infinity was the key problem so mathematically rigorous “work-arounds“ were developed to avoid it altogether. Going back to 1970, I thought infinity could best be defined by three concepts: (1)_continuity (renders order), (2)_symmetry (renders relations), (3)_harmony (renders dynamics). My studies of scientific anomalies and quantum fluctuations, opened questions about possible transformations between the finite and infinite. My hypothesis was, that if taken together, the three would necessarily define a moment of perfection.
There was a problem. With no framework, those concepts were just a feel-good, “holiday-collection” of words.
In 2011, by applying base-2 exponentiation starting at the Planck base units, a framework of 202 notations or doublings encapsulate the finite universe — everything, everywhere, for all time. It was a framework! And, along that continuum are new insights into some of our most basic questions.
New academic insights are difficult, yet when one begins to grasp the largest possible continuum, discovering new possibilities becomes a bit easier.
Here there are real numbers for time, length, mass and charge. These numbers make it easier to intuit the forms and functions along those 202 notations. Notation #1 is the first doubling, an actual moment of space and time with an actual physical definition. Base-2 is a natural progression, a natural inflation, and a most-simple emergence. The first 64 doublings are well below the thresholds for our measuring devices, yet 264 as we have learned and gotten to appreciate from the wheat and chessboard stories offers more than enough doublings for simplicity to become complexity, possibly even with a diversity of entanglements. Then come the particles and waves. By Notation-202 the universe as we know it has unfolded. Within just Notation-202 there is most of the history of the universe to date. Significantly, there is also most of the history of our solar system. There is, all of our human history (approximately 400,000 years); and there is the current time that continues to unfold even at this moment.
Just a second…
The first 64 notations provide the first foundations of the universe within an extremely short duration. The first possible measurement of a duration (using today’s tools), the attosecond, is not until the 84th notation. The very first second is not until just after the 143th notation. According to these numbers, within that particular moment, our universe is like a neutron star and perhaps about the size of an area defined by the International Space Station’s orbit.
By the 167th notation, a rich and robust universe is presented within just 116.73 days of activity (a light year is coming quickly). If you were to look at just the Planck Length doubling, the universe measures 3.0234 trillion kilometers, putting it well beyond our little Solar System (Note: Current astronomy has it as small as 4.503 billion kilometers across and no larger than 23 billion kilometers). The expanse of a light year is 9.5 trillion kilometers. Proxima Centauri, the closest star to our own, is only 40 trillion kilometers (4.3 light-years) from our sun.
Most of today’s scholars focus on Notations-197 to 202
The scholars-experts, all today’s astrophysicists and cosmologists, attempt to look back as far as they can. Their large-scale structures of the universe begin at about the 300-million year mark which is from around Notation-197 (343.15 million years) to Notation-198 (686.806 million years). Given the Planck units veracity, the first 196 notations warrant our continued study and closer scrutiny.
Here in the last days of December 2019, most of today’s scholars are still unaware of these base-2 notations.
A little review and some observations
Progressive and dynamic. In this model of the universe every notation necessarily builds on the prior. It seems at this stage in our work, that the simplest doubling action is sphere stacking. Although introduced in prior postings, there are scholarly experts in the area of cubic close-packing of equal spheres who will be engaged to help us bring that work forward to include Poincaré’s sphere and the Fourier transform. It seems that none of those experts have yet to do applications at the Planck scale.
There is plenty of space for this doubling action to become quite robust and textured. I am rather sure there is quite “enough room” for all the scholarly work within the Langlands programs and even then all the work within string theory. Although that sounds like quite a stretch, within those first 64 notations, there are many-many, more key ideas to emerge. With every doubling there are forms and functions that could be added, yet not arbitrarily. Forms and functions emerge from all prior notations. At this stage within our development we are still guessing about the earliest forms and functions. We need the Langlands programs (with all the mathematics of their automorphic forms) and string theory (with the insights of people like Ed Witten) to help!
Stepping back to look at the nature of time and space. In this model, both have lost their absoluteness. Both have become much more relational and dynamically involved with the essence of things. Neither time nor space is an abstract (or absolute) container for action. One should say that time-and-space is always within everything, uniquely-defined within any given moment, and it cannot be extracted quite so absolutely as Isaac Newton proposed. There is no singular time. Within this model, all time-and-space is always active. There is no past. That is such a radical concept, and quite disorienting, it will take many more years to ponder and explore.
Pop Culture – Our Imaginations Are Running Overtime. Within current scholarship, subjects like superluminality (faster-than-light activity), emergence, and entanglement have become popular topics of discussion. We have become a Star Wars people. Notwithstanding, there are many scholarly papers that wrestle with facets of the superluminal, emergence, and entanglement.
Our base-2 model gives all these scholars a very different container for the development of concepts and hypotheses:
First, there is no absolute space and time. Space and time are derivative of light and each other and the Planck Mass and Planck Charge.
Second, there is no infinitely hot start. The universe starts close to absolute zero, yet by the 137th notation the temperature has risen to 3.8403×1012 K, hot enough for the Quark-Gluon Plasma (QGP).
Third, the finite-infinite relation has a very restrictive definition. Infinity is the concresence of continuity, symmetry and harmony.
Fourth, this concresence creates a moment and thrust toward perfection and the first notations are defined by that perfection. Quantum fluctuations do not occur immediately, perhaps not until Notation-50 or higher.
Fifth, everything, everywhere for all time is uniquely defined and constantly redefined based on activities within the current moment.
Sixth, consciousness is the integration of our current time, Notation-202 with a yet to be determined number of prior notations, possibly all of them.
Seventh, sleep is the recurring recompile of any given period of wakefulness with the rest of the universe. It creates the necessary symmetries to sustain life.
Eighth, a simple logic and simple geometry makes this study accessible to all.
The Communications Network: Transversing all 202 notations at the speed of light. We are slowly learning how our universe is not linear but exponential. It is defined by 202 notations. And, we currently move and have our being within Notation-202 and it will unfold for another 10+ billion years. It has directionality. All other notations have 100% symmetry. If our universe is around 13.81 billion years and Notation-202 is 10.9816 billion years in total duration and all the prior notations also add up to 10.9816 billion years, only 2.8284 billion years of Notation-202 have unfolded.
It is all connected — cross-connected and inter-connected. In our brief time studying this model, we can see connections (1) across all notations (base-2), across select notations (base-3, base-4, base-5 and so on) and “local connections” throughout a given notation which are linear and where the speed of light is uniquely defined (see line 10 of the horizontal-scrolled chart).
It would seem that we traverse within a notation and transverse across notations.
If at the speed of light, transversing the universe, notation-to-notation, could begin to account for what is perceived as superluminal. Within a notation the speed of light would be our governor (speed limiter or controller).
Each “prime” notation uniquely extends the diversity of our mathematics, yet always within our current 202 notational steps, always with base-2 connections, and then extending that uniqueness and complexity with base-3, base-4, base-5 and so on.
From Identity to Consciousness
Questions about the deep nature of life. At some point within this universe, the organic emerged from the inorganic. That would qualify as a “prime notational development.” At another point, plant life became fish and then animal life, more prime notational developments. And, at yet another point, sentience or consciousness manifests.
To the best of our knowledge (which is extremely limited), that all happened within Notation-202 and it did not happened in any other notation. First, it would seem that it requires a human being. Yet, possibly human beings actually evolve from many other notations. How many? I would answer, “Probably all.” If I were a betting person, I would wager that here are continuity equations that track back from the individual that sustain some quality from each and every notation. …just a hunch.
Continuity equations originating from all the dimensionless constants. These all become actual unique mathematical identities. Somewhere just over 436,117,076,900,000,000 seconds ago, the universe was just one second old. That second was part of Notation-143. That number may sound impossibly small, however the numbers can be checked here ( https://81018.com/universeclock/ ) and here ( https://81018.com/chart/#202 ). Every second and place in this universe has a very unique Planck Time-and-Planck Length, as well as Planck Mass-and-Planck Charge signature. There are continuity equations that bind everything, including you from the beginning to now, as you. Here is a key part of your identity — the most essential — about which you are probably unaware. Max Tegmark of MIT tells us that that the universe is mathematical, yet here we take it a bit further. We’re actually trying to grasp the mathematics!
Symmetry functions originating from sphere stacking. Every possible geometry from the most simple to the most complex, becomes an essential structure for a totally mathematical and geometrical universe. In this model, we can begin to see how every moment, every particle, and every preparticle has its own unique mathematical identity and there is continuity from its first emergence right to the present moment.
Note: This paragraph will be reviewed often, and expanded, and re-written until these formative thoughts become more robust.
The very nature of identity appears to have its essence in the earliest notations, yet not until Notation-202 does identity per se appear to manifest. People are about having an identity! And, that begs the question, “Is the concresence of the first 201 notations, every nuance and development, necessary for the unfolding of life, humans, individuals with self-identity? Does the asymmetry of Notation-202 (it is still unfolding and appears directional) part of the burden-and-rejuvenation of sleep?” The simple answer appears to be, “Yes.” Further, the most complex answers will argue how specific notations concresce and are forever dynamic.
Editor’s note: Much more work is needed. I beg your patience. -BEC
A Review of Groups within the 202 notations
- Notations 1-10 Forms Historically we turned to Plato’s Eidos and more recently we’ve turned to the Langlands programs, automorphic forms, bifurcation theory, sphere-stacking, Fourier transforms, Poincaré’s spheres, Lorentz transformations, binary ops, scalar fields, point-free geometries and more…
- Notations 11-20: Structures Historically, many turn to Aristotle and the concept of the Ousia. Today, we are more likely to turn to Ed Witten and his concepts of strings, axiomatic set theory, and the Zermelo–Fraenkel set theory.
- Notations 21-30: Substances Complexity, topos theory, aether,
- Notations 31-40: Qualities Point-free geometries, foundations of values-ethics
- Notations 41-50: Relations Leibniz-relations-
- Notations 51-60: Systems, the Mind, Consciousness Systems theory – As Notations-51-to-60 manifest for the very first time as space-time and mass-energy, consciousness as we understand it is not present in this universe. Yet, systems should readily begin to emerge both defined now by Langlands programs, string theory, systems theory. It is not until 13.81 billion years has passed, and just now the most recent 400,000 years of Notation-202, that consciousness as we understand it today would have unfolded. It appears that the functionality of Notations-51-to-60 changes with every micro-second of the universe. Systems are changing even this moment (much more to come and a whole lot of editing).
- Notations 61-70: Pre-particles, Particles and Waves quantum theory – incompleteness – imperfections – probability – quarks – qluons
- Notations 71-80: Periodic Table of Elements gamma wavelengths, tunneling,
- Notations 81-134: The elements for life and light
- Notations 135-201: On the path to the first second between Notations 143-and-144, the large-scale structure formation at about Notation-196.
- Notation-202: Only in the current notation would any thing be required to sleep.
- Sleep as a recompile within the infinite…
Consider a reboot of the the computer or even an iPhone as an example
- What is life? Going back to the first four paragraphs….
- Sleep as a recompile within the infinite…
Life is an integration of all 202 notations
Advice? Please send along your comments or questions:
A few references and notes:
- World Directory of Mathematicians: Tata
- Constantinos Athanasopoulos, The Metaphysics of Intentionality
- Editor: Peter G. Grossenbacher, Finding Consciousness in the Brain: A Neurocognitive Approach, John Benjamins PC, 1998, 2001
- Peter Tennant Johnstone (born 1948) is Professor of the Foundations of Mathematics at the University of Cambridge, and a fellow of St. John’s College. He invented or developed some ideas in topos theory. His thesis, completed at the University of Cambridge in 1974, was entitled “Some Aspects of Internal Category Theory in an Elementary Topos”.
- Tony Padilla (Nottingham, 2013): “We propose a very simple reformulation of General Relativity, which completely sequesters from gravity all of the vacuum energy from a matter sector, including all loop corrections and renders all contributions from phase transitions automatically small. The idea is to make the dimensional parameters in the matter sector functionals of the 4-volume element of the universe. For them to be nonzero, the universe should be finite in spacetime. If this matter is the Standard Model of particle physics, our mechanism prevents any of its vacuum energy, classical or quantum, from sourcing the curvature of the universe. The mechanism is consistent with the large hierarchy between the Planck scale, electroweak scale and curvature scale, and early universe cosmology, including inflation. Consequences of our proposal are that the vacuum curvature of an old and large universe is not zero, but very small, that wDE≃−1 is a transient, and that the universe will collapse in the future.” (my emphasis)
- Since the introduction of sheaves into mathematics in the 1940s, a major theme has been to study a space by studying sheaves on a space. This idea was expounded by Alexander Grothendieck by introducing the notion of a “topos”. Grothendieck authored “Cohomologie non-abélienne” (Springer, 1971).
- Bottom-up: from neutrino mixing to physics at the Planck scale, Alexei Smirnov (MPI Heidelberg & ICTP Trieste
- Standard and derived Planck quantities: selected analysis and derivations, George Gillies, https://arxiv.org/abs/1006.3241 <email@example.com>
- Theoretical High Energy Particle Physics Group, Cambridge
- 313.5 MMT (million metric tons) of wheat in 2019. On the entire chessboard there would be 264 − 1 = 18,446,744,073,709,551,615 grains of wheat, weighing about 1,199,000,000,000 metric tonnes. This is about 1,645 times the global production of wheat (729,000,000 metric tons in 2014 and 780.8 million tonnes in 2019).
- Trans-Planckian Censorship and Inflationary Cosmology https://arxiv.org/abs/1909.11106