1. The people within the geometry and science classes in a New Orleans high school
2. An Overview: A conceptual evolution of the project. Our initial overview in 2012
3. The Challenge: How can big bang cosmology and our quiet expansion be reconciled?
The 202 doublings of the Planck Length rendered a highly-integrated model of the universe. But, does it make any sense?
Initial Post: 19 December 2011 Most recent update: September 2016 Homepage
In December 2011 two teachers and about 80 high school students rather naïvely began to explore a geometric progression that first went down in size to the Planck Length then reversed to go back up all the way to the Observable Universe (most links open a tab or window and go to an in-depth Wikipedia page). It seemed like it could be a powerful STEM tool.
The first chart to be developed, pictured on the left, measures 60×11 inches. It is a view of the entire universe and has just over 200 doublings (dividing or multiplying by 2, over and over again). Thinking that this simple math was already part of academic work, a two-year search did not find any references to the powers of 2 (or doublings), plus the Planck Length.  In that time, asking around locally and then globally, many people were puzzled and asked, “Why haven’t we seen a base-2 scale of the universe before now?”
An Integrated Universe View
Dubbed Big Board – little universe, this project started as a curiosity; today, it is an on-going study to analyze and develop the logic and potential links from their simple mathematics to all the current mathematics that define the universe, all its parts, everything from everywhere, and from the beginning of time to this very moment in time. Their hope is that this simple logic has simple links to real realities. Their standing invitation is, Open To Everyone, to help. This chart follows the progressions from the smallest to the largest possible measurement of a length. Subsequent charts engage the other Planck base units. With more questions than answers, this group is trying to grasp the logic flows in light of current academic-scientific research.
They’re making a little progress.
Yes, on December 19, 2011 the geometry classes in a New Orleans high school were introduced to the chart just above (Planck Length to the Observable Universe). In December 2014 they began to track Planck Time to the Age of the Universe. As they added other Planck base units, it became obvious that a horizontally-scrolled chart was needed to follow all the data more easily. Along that path they began to question the big bang theory, especially the first four epochs — the Planck Epoch, the Grand Unification Epoch, the Inflationary Epoch, and Electroweak Epoch because they had a natural inflation and quiet expansion. It is not from an “infinitely hot, and infinitely dense point.” So, of course, their work on this model of the universe continues and questions abound. These students ask, “What is the largest possible continuity equation?”
They ask, “Where are the informed critics to tell us where we are going wrong?” One rather brilliant, young physicist told them that the concept for this project is idiosyncratic. They quickly learned how right he was. Nobel laureates and scholars of the highest caliber were asked, “What is wrong with our picture? Where is our fallacy of misplaced concreteness?” The group is slowly analyzing the logic and developing their thoughts as web postings with the hope that somebody will say, “That’s wrong” and be able to tell them in what ways they have failed logically or mathematically.
If not wrong, the extension of their basic logic could begin to yield rather far-reaching results. For example, the big bang theory could get a special addendum, the first 67 notations. That would make it simple, symmetric (entirely relational), predictive, and totally other. The entire universe could get an infrastructure of geometries whereby many issues in physics, chemistry and biology could be redressed. The finite-infinite relation is opened for new inquiries. In this model of the universe, time-and-space are derivative of two quantitative qualities of infinity and light: continuity-and-symmetry. As a result, these derivative relations begin to have an inherent qualitative or value structure. If so, ethics and the studies of the Mind (the discernment of qualities) just might, for the first time in history, become part of a scientific-mathematical continuum. A trifurcated definition of the individual may emerge whereby people are simultaneously within the small scale, human scale, and large scale universe. Embracing a different sense of the nature of space and time by which both are localized by notation is surely enough; yet there will always be more. There are many working postings that have been written since their first chart; all of it needs constant updating. Many can be found through the top navigation bar option, INDEX.
Notes, lesson plans and posts (and all new posts) are being consolidated and linked from this homepage. Now called, The Big Board – little universe Project, it is a Science-Technology-Engineering-Mathematics (STEM) application. Secondary schools from around the world are being invited to join the exploration.
The earliest postings and blogs were done by Bruce Camber within a section of his website — SmallBusinessSchool.org. That site supports a television series, Small Business School, that he and his wife, Hattie Bryant, started. It aired for 50+ seasons on most PBS-TV stations throughout the USA and on thousands around the world via the Voice of America-TV affiliates.
Articles and blogs have been posted on WordPress, LinkedIn, Blogger, and Facebook (often those links open in new windows). An April 2012 article, formatted for and displayed within Wikipedia for a few weeks, was deleted on May 2, 2012 as “original research” by highly-specialized Wikipedia editors. Only then did this little group of teachers and students finally begin to believe that base-2 notation had not already been applied to the Planck base units. And, as they have grown in their analyses, it has become increasingly clear that this area of simple math and simple logic is a relatively new exploration and that notations 1-to-67 may be a key to unlock a new understanding of the nature of physical reality.
The challenge is to study the logic flow within their many charts, all based on the Planck base units, both up and down and across, to build on the question, “Is this simple logic onsistent? What does it imply about the nature of the universe?”
So, even now, there is much more to come. At the end of the year, 2015, a Lettermanesque Top Ten was added. In January 2016 an article, Constructing the Universe from Scratch, emerged. In April 2016 the horizontally-scrolled chart provided a better sense of the flow and of phase transitions. Still a “rough draft” this project has a long way to go! Bruce Camber says, “You are most welcome to add your ideas and insights!”
 Footnote: In 1957 Kees Boeke did a base-10 progression in just 40 steps. It became quite popular. In July 2014, physicists, Gerard ‘t Hooft and Stefan Vandoren wrote a scholarly update using base-10. Notwithstanding, base-2 is 3.3333+ times more granular than base-10. Plus, base-2 mimics cellular reproduction and other naturally bifurcating processes in mathematics, physics, chemistry, biology, topology, botany, architecture, cellular automaton and information theory; it has a geometry; it has the Planck base units, and, it has a simple logic and so much more.
Please note. There are several related websites for this project. The primary sites are:
• http://81018.com 81018 – This site is for on-going research and development.
• http://bblu.org Big Board-little universe is to relate this work to STEM programs in secondary schools.
• http://quietexpansion.com Quiet Expansion is for more personal reflections.
• http://SmallBusinessSchool.org The original site where many of these pages were first posted.
There is a duplication of pages and overlapping links between these sites. There are also numerous other web pages that have been developed over the years. Please bear with us as everything related to this simple base-2 model is consolidated within the first three primary sites listed above.
Navigation: The boldface entries will keep you within 81018.com. If you happen to find yourself on an unusual URL and want to return to the originating page, please use your “back arrow” button. Thank you.
- 2011 (December) Big Board – little universe
- 2012 (January) Earliest Reflections
- 2012 (September) Article: Geometric Progression of Length & Time Return to top
- 2015 (August) Analysis: A Simple View of the Universe
- 2015 (September) Analysis of the Chart of the Five Planck Base Units
- 2016 (December): Simple Math-And-Logic, An Integrated Model of the Universe
- 67 Notations of the Small-Scale Universe: Are these among the key missing links?
- 81018: Horizontally scrolled chart from the Planck Scale to the Age of the Universe
- Analyses: (1) Ongoing, (2) Current
- Architecture for Integrative Systems: 1979 Display Project at MIT
- Architecture for Integrative Systems: The Scholars
- Background Story (December 20, 2011)
- Base-2 and Base-10: Just the Numbers (from 2012)
- Belief Systems: Just what are we to believe about anything?
- Big Bang, Our Initial Question: Did A Quiet Expansion Precede The Big Bang?
- Big Bang Theory: (1) Analysis (2) Bubble (3) Flood (4) Questions (5) Turok: “Wrong!”
- Big Bang Theory, The Television Show: A symbol statement of Big Bang cosmology?
- Big Board-little universe: A site for secondary schools and STEM studies
- Boundaries: Ask Minhyong Kim (Oxford’s Merton College), “What constitutes a boundary?”
- Camber, Bruce: Intro and Timeline
- Chart: The most recently updated, a horizontally-scrolled chart
- Chart (vertical) of the Five Planck Base Units: From the 202nd notation down to 1.
- Charts (four primary charts and lists)
- Chaos-and-order and Order-and-Chaos: Non-repeating, never ending numbers
- Continuity with Symmetry and Harmony
- Correspondence and other communications
- Dark Matter, Dark Energy, Cosmology and the Large-scale universe (November 2015)
- Emails and Letters
- Entrepreneurs of Outer Space: Allen, Bezos, Branson, Musk
- Ethics: Where is the Good in Science, Business, and Religion?
- Facts: Can there be “simple” facts?
- Fifteen Key Questions: About the Universe and Us
- Finite & Infinite (homepage). The first look. A second look.
- Formula 1: Light is equal to Planck Length divided by Planck Time
- Foundations of foundations
- Freeman Dyson: Guiding Light
- Harmony with Symmetry and Continuity
- Help. Participate. Initiate.
- Historical Sketch: A Secret Door To A New Universe Of Knowledge
- History: What Did We Ever Do Without Our Universe View? (goes to BBLU.org)
- Homepages: An evolving list from September 2016
- Index of the 202 Notations: In process – began in November 2017
- Just the numbers: Comparing base-2 and base-10
- Langlands I, II, III, IV
- Logic: What is wrong with our simple logic?
- Luminet, Jean-Pierre: Calculations in 2012
- Mass & Charge: Open questions and speculations
- Measuring An Expanding Universe Using Planck Units
- Model: Could this fledgling model of the universe be useful?
- NASA scientist’s report (regarding his calculations for us on May 14, 2012)
- Natural Inflation and the Thrust of the Universe
- Notations 1-202
- Notations 80 down to 66
- Numbers: On Constructing the Universe From Scratch
- Open questions
- Order In The Universe: Continuity and Symmetry
- Paradigms, foundations, first principles, universals and constants
- Pi: 3.1415926535897932384626433832795028…
- Planck Length to the Observable Universe
- Planck Length: What Is It?
- Planck Time to the Age of the Universe
- Quiet Expansion: Do the dynamics deflate the big bang theory?
- Quiet Expansion challenges the Big Bang (June 2016)
- Quiet Expansion Precede Big Bang? (September 2014)
- Scholars, scientists, and other thought leaders
- Seconds: Day, Year, and Until this Moment
- Simple View of the Universe
- Simplicity: Just how simple is it? Simple facts!
- Small Scale Universe: Notations 1-67
- Space and Time: Derivative, Discrete, Finite, and Quantized
- Speculations & Working Articles
- Speed of Light NOT Yet Confirmed With Planck Units and Base-2 Notation
- Student’s Science Fair Project
- Symmetry with Continuity and with Harmony
- Tetrahedrons & Octahedrons Simple facts! TOTLine
- Thrust of the Universe
- Tiling and Tessellating the Universe: A Great Chain of Being
- Top Ten Reasons for The Big Board – little universe Project
- Two shoes: A review of where we were in July 2016
- Universe Clock: Day, Year, and Until this Moment:
- Universe Table: The Human Scale
- Values: Introductory Chart for Natural Values (June 2014)
- We Are Family: The apron, created in 1992, is an excellent tool to learn base-2.
- Welcome: Help. Participate. Initiate.
- Why now? Why haven’t we seen a base-2 scale of the universe before now?
- What if?!?
- Wikipedia Article (2012): Accepted And Then Rejected
- Wrong: There is a possibility
To view the most recent pages:
Go to the top of this page
scroll over the HOME tab
in the top navigation bar.
At least a year of homepages
is dated and summarized.
Introductions to the website:
An Expanded Overview: https://81018.com/relations/
As a study group program: https://81018.com/s3a/
2016 homepage: https://81018.com/2016/10/16/infinite/
The current homepage is always: http://81018.com