Reflections: MLK Day in the USA
by Bruce Camber
While still in high school in 1965, I joined two civil rights organizations, Martin Luther King’s SCLC and Ella Baker’s SNCC, then opted to attend a South Carolina college though I was born and brought up in Boston. Those were hectic, troubled times.
In graduate school in 1969, I was pulled by two forces. Politically-and-emotionally, I was an activist. Intellectually, I wanted to understand the mind. How does one break through to get a new insight into an unsolved intellectual problem? What constitutes a paradigm shift? Where does the mind reside?
I lucked out and quickly maximized my involvement in politics; fundraising, glad-handing and backslapping got old quickly. There had to be a better way to know oneself, to see the world, and to answer basic questions about who we are and about the meaning and value of life. Yet, philosophy, science, and theology were all tied up in knots.
It would take me another 40 years to finally break through that knotty roadblock. In 2011, rather unwittingly, we backed into a very simple model of the universe that heretofore had not been explored within the academic world. I think it is well-worth the time to explore so I invite you to come on a journey with us. It won’t be easy. More…
Articles: Big Bang Boom Is Over
• Correspondence: Hawking, Guth and Andrei Linde
• Correspondence: Director General, CERN, Geneva
• Is there an implosion already underway?
• Quiet Expansion possible?
Open for your comments:
• Finite and Infinite: What’s the question?
• Quiet Expansion of the Universe: Learning from scholars like Frank Wilczek (MIT) and Freeman Dyson (Institute for Advanced Studies) can be intimidating. Trying not to be overwhelmed by their expertise, we shift our focus from particles to systems.
• #1 Top Ten (updated as a result of reader’s input)
• Like a King or Queen (December 19)
• The Numbers: A horizontally-scrolled chart with 12 rows and 204 columns which makes up 34-pages side-by-side, and over 2000 blocks of information to analyze and eventually to understand.
• More Numbers: The Universe From Scratch
• Value values, ethics and integrity
• Big Bang Cosmology: #10 Bully #9 False Start #8 Hot head
Your Questions/Our Answers: Ask a question about this work, especially about the chart, and we will attempt to answer it!
To the Top Guns of Physics: What’s wrong with this picture?
To Our Global Pop Stars & Others: An appeal to Katy Perry, “Become a spokesperson. Spread the word.”
News / Research
QuietExpansion.com opens for business: There are many websites associated with these efforts. Most attempt to capture historical moments in time and to analyze its possible role within academic work. There hasn’t been a place for personal reflections. That changes today.
Universe View: What is your expertise? There are many blanks; and all cells — over 2000 of them — will always be “under construction.”