Big Board-little universe: This chart was developed in December 2011.
Let us start with the two key numbers:
1. The Planck Length: 1.61619926×10-35 meters which is 0.0000000000000000000000000000000000161619926 meters
2. The Observable Universe: 8.79829142×1026 meters or 879,829,142,000,000,000,000,000,000 meters
Max Planck gave us the first number. The second number is the Planck Length doubled, then doubled, then doubled again and again. Just 202 times, the figure approximates the generally-accepted, current estimates for the size of the universe. Our number is generated from simple math and the Planck scale. The generally accepted estimate is generated within the university and that process is much more complex!
There are many numbers in between the two. Each “0” represents a major base-10 transformation; and within each base-10, there are three or four base-2 notations. Though some say that the Planck Length is a special type of singularity, it has a specific length. Yet, that length is so small, for about 100 years, it was virtually ignored by the entire scientific community. Perhaps a better way of looking at the Planck Length is through the lenses of geometry. If we make it one of Alfred North Whitehead’s point-free vertices of a specific length, each time we multiply by two we grow the size as well as the number of vertices.
This is the domain of postulations and hypostatizations. Consider this concept: going within (from 1-to-65) from about the 65th notation down to Notation-1, more and more is shared by everything especially the Planck Length base units.
Each notation organizes uniquely, yet within groups. And these natural groupings reflect all the diversity within all the notations 65 and higher. It seems that the mathematics of cellular automaton may figure into the first 20 or 30 notations. We start with the most basic Forms, then Structures, which become the pre-structure for Substances, archetypes for Qualities, then Relations, then the Mind. We turn to systems theory, group theory, and set theory to discern the order of things.
Perhaps there are five hot spots for immediate research:
* Notations 1-20 and the foundations of cellular automaton and fractal geometries by using the functions created by more than one million vertices
* Notations 50-60.The foundations of the Mind, logic, psychology, memory, thought, epistemology and learning with over 500 trillion vertices at the 59th notation and then another quintillion+ vertices within the 60th notation.
* Notations 60-80. The emergence of the particles and atoms and the most basic structures of all physical matter
* Notations 100-103. The emergence of the human life and most all life as we know it
* Notations 135-138. Transition to the Large-Scale Universe with the possibilities of uncovering pathways to the Einstein-Rosen bridges and tunnels also known as wormholes.
Key references for more: The numbers.
Facts & Guesses. The Facts are what is measurable and what fits within each domain. The Guesses are about what goes on with those domains (aka steps, notations, layers or doublings) especially those that remain blank. Is there a pattern, especially a cyclic pattern that manifests in another notation? We followed Max Planck where he took the constants of nature, starting with the speed of light to calculate the smallest number. We took the age of the universe, with some help from scientists, to learn the largest calculation of a length, the Observable Universe. Making sense of these numbers is another story. So, over the forthcoming weeks, months and years, we will be looking even deeper.
Editor’s note: When this page was first posted in 2014, it was part of a high school Science Fair project. At this point at the end of the article, there was a link to take ta little survey. Eventually a link will be restored to a new survey, but not today!